Thursday, November 20, 2008

Assignment 4 - Urban Phenomena (Final)

The theme of this assignment is surrealism. Which is rather tough as when I start to conceptualize the idea and theme, I am already deviating from the surreal.

Concept: First of all, my concept of surrealism is things that appear normal at first glance but is actually absurd if closely examined. Trying to show from the photo that people are working day and night just to earn money. Perhaps it is to pay all the bills, perhaps it is to pay back the debts or perhaps it is a way to get rich. Regardless of reasons, in a way people are a slave to money. The invert face which looks normal on first glance but on examining further, one will realize that the face is actually distorted when they turn the photograph around. This is to show people not to take things a face value and see deeper into what is the true face of money and that we should not be slave to it.









Technique: I simply inverted the eyes and mouth of the person’s face. I then layer the cut out of the person over a picture of a 50 dollars note(with everything else photoshopped away). I then overlay two pictures (one day and one night shot) of the Singapore skyline and using layer mask, I merge them in such a way such the bottom area reflects the night view and the top reflects the day view. I then overlay this picture between the dollar picture and the person cut out. I then change the tinge of the person to be closer to the 50 dollars bill.

And here is the end result! I am not sure if it is surrealistic enough, if i had one more week(hahaha, this is like NM3216) i will attempt my original idea of a man looking into a mirror. At first glance the viewer will see nothing wrong. However with deeper examination, the viewer will find that the world in the mirror is actually correctly reflected while the 'real world' is the mirror image. The room is basically very ambiguous saved for subtle clues such as the opposite face of the clock.

No comments: